CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

HAWAII- ISLAND OF OAHU June 17-20

HAWAII in JUNE

Scott and I just got back from a very fun and relaxing vacation to HAWAII. Scott attended a work conference on Oahu and I just went to hang out on the beach and read books. J/K.

We left on Tuesday, June 17. We flew into Oahu and headed to our hotel. We stayed at the Hawaiian Hilton Village. No kidding- it is a real village. They have several towers with rooms, two pools, private beach, 5 or so restaurants. The beach and gardens were beautiful and it was a lot of fun to stay at such a resort.

So after we checked in we decided to walk around and explore the area. We went to the beach and just enjoyed all the humidity in the air.


Waikiki Beach on Oahu- Our Hotels Beach


The Hilton Hawaiian Village


Scott Hanging Loose


Some of the beautiful water features and statues at the resort




Some of the pretty gardens


JUNE 18th- This was the first day of the conference. Scott got up early and I decided to sleep a little longer. Scott's conference was from 8-5 so he was gone for most of the day. That was one of the best days of my vacation. I went to the pool and the beach and just basked in the warm weather and read a book. WOW!!! That's a true vacation. Unfortunately, I finished my two books that day so I had to find some other ways to entertain me the rest of the days.

That night we went to a work Banquet. The food was Hawaiian and we enjoyed a nice show. Most of the people that attended the conference were Asian so it was quite interesting. But we had a good time. We sat next to a guy that we didn't know. I finally asked him where he was from. Well what do you know-Lehi, Utah. It was funny because we were the only ones there from Utah. Small World.



Pictures from the Hawaiian Show

JUNE 19th- I decided that I would go on a tour of the island this day. We started at 7:30 in the morning and didn't get back until 5:00. Here are some of the cool things I saw on the tour.
  • Slopes of Diamond Head
  • Kahala (Hawaii's Beverly Hills)
  • Hanauma Bay
  • "From Here To Eternity" Beach
  • Sandy Beach
  • Makapu'u Lookout
  • Waimanalo Hawaiian Homestead
  • Nu'uanu Pali Lookout and Valley
  • Rain forests
  • Byodo-In Temple
  • Windward coast
  • Ko'olau Mountains
  • North Shore surfing beaches
  • Waimea Valley
  • Pineapple & agriculture fields and Dole Plantation
Some of my favorites were seeing how Pineapples really grow and eating a Pineapple type shake, Seeing where the filmed Lost and Jurassic Park were filmed. Walking through the Waimea Valley and just enjoying the information I learned on the tour. We stopped at a cool Shrimp Shack for lunch that was just on the side of the highway. Way yummy Coconut Shrimp.
Pineapple Plant

Beautiful Beach



Byodo Temple


Where Lost and Jurassic Park were filmed.


JUNE 20th-
This day I decided I would get up and go to the temple on the other side of the island. But first I decided to go and hike Diamond Head before it got to hot. I was a little worried to hike it by myself but there were lots of people hiking so I wasn't worried at all. It was fun to hike to the top and see the Honolulu and Waikiki from so far up. I really had a good hike and got a little exercise in. After that I came home and showered so I could spend the day at the temple.

As I was driving I had made it to the other side of the island was came to a red light. I stopped and within 15 seconds was hit hard from behind. The kid in the car said his brakes went out. I'm not sure what happened but I was a little scared especially because it wasn't my car. The lady in the truck next to me told me not to let the kid go because there are a lot of hits and runs in Hawaii. I got out of the car and went to talk to the kid that hit me. He followed me to a turn off.

The first thing he told me was that he didn't have his license, he didn't have the car insured or registered. He asked me if I would not call the cops and he would just pay for the damage. I had to let him know that the car was a rental. He got very nervous at this point. I called the rental company and the cops and tried to let them know where we were ( I sure can't talk in Hawaiian. The street names were so confusing).

Well it all worked out. The kid will have to go to court. I felt bad for him but there was nothing else I could do.

So that ruined my plans to go to the temple because I had to drive back and pick up Scott and take the car back to the airport. But I was fine and wasn't hurt. So that was a blessing.

That night was had a yummy dinner and played at the beach.

0 comments: